Supernumerary nipples from the work of Erik Strandberg (Wikimedia commons)
- There may be a possible relationship with mitral valve prolapsed (heart valve problem).
- Kidney abnormalities associated with polythelia include: cysts, duplications of the kidney, and kidney cancer
- 14% of patients with no family history of polythelia have kidney abnormalities
- 32 % of patients with a family history of polythelia have kidney abnormalities
- 1-2% of general population may have kidney abnormalities.
- 19% of patients who had kidney cancer had extra nipples.
I recommend that physicians, families and friends of individuals who have "extra nipples" should be aware of the association of kidney abnormalities with polythelia. Routine physical examination, a renal ultrasound and urinalysis may be recommended in these patients.