|Miranda Kerr's Beautiful Dimples (Photograph courtesy of urbanfancies.wordpress.com)|
Fast Facts about Dimple Surgery (Dimple creation)
- Dimple surgery can be done under local anesthesia by a skilled plastic surgeon.
- Majority of the techniques, if not all, involves adherence of the buccinator muscles of the face to the dermis of the skin. This can be done by transcutaneous sutures or by an open technique done under local anesthesia.
- Typically, there is no incision done on the skin of the face. The incision is done through the mouth which would show no scarring.
- Like a natural dimple, dimples created surgically typically appears with smiling. Although surgically created dimples may appear most of the time depending on the surgical technique used.
- The dimple may be present even without smiling the first several days or even weeks. Eventually, the surgically created dimple most likely be present with smiling as scar develops between the inner skin and the buccinator muscle.
- The procedure typically takes less than 30 minutes.
- When one surgically create a dimple, the ideal location would be the area where a less obvious faint dimple is present with smiling. This would create a pre-existing dimple more prominent.
- If one cheek has a dimple, the ideal site would be marked at the corresponding site that would create symmetry of the face.
- If preexisting dimple is present, the ideal location would be the intersection between a horizontal line from the corner of the mouth and a vertical line from the lateral canthus of the eye.
- Sudden disappearance of the dimple.
- Foreign body reaction
- Injury to a nerve (buccal branch of the facial nerve) or salivary gland duct (Stensen’s duct), which are rare.
Houston Plastic Surgeon